Why You Should Try Hearts of Palm Food
Hearts of palm, also known as palm hearts, are highly nutritious, healthy vegetables that are commonly used in salads. It’s a great ingredient offering various health benefits that you should look into if you’re following a keto or low-carb diet.
It is a very versatile ingredient that can be eaten raw, cooked in different ways, and is even used to make gluten-free pasta or other healthy foods, such as Natural Heaven Creamy Mash and Natural Heaven pasta, a hearts of palm pasta that is ideal for low-carb recipes and keto pasta.
Here’s why you should use hearts of palm noodles and pasta for your keto recipes and include palm heart foods in your diet.
Benefits of Adding Hearts of Palm to Your Diet
Tasty and Crunchy
Hearts of palm are the hearts or cores of different palm plants. The official state tree of Florida, palm trees grow in tropical climates and are highly sustainable trees.
Hearts of palm are quite mild and have a similar flavor to artichoke hearts or white asparagus. They are delicious and easy to bite into while also having a solid, crunchy texture.
Most commonly added to salads, hearts of palm can also be used in a variety of different recipes and dishes. They are amazing alternatives for those looking to substitute traditional wheat pasta recipes with healthier alternatives, popularly used in gluten-free pasta and gluten-free lasagna.
Palm hearts are also used in vegetable soups and stews to add a bit of crunch and pureed to make sauces or spreads. Additionally, fresh palm hearts can be grilled or sauteed and served as part of a vegetable platter or along with meats and sauces at a barbeque.
Edible When Raw
The palm heart’s innermost part can be eaten raw. It has a crunchy texture and sweet flavor, similar to jicama. Make sure to remove the outer latter as it is inedible and only meant to keep the vegetable fresh.
You can either cut them straight down the middle or slice from one side to get the inner layer out.
High Nutritient Content
Palm hearts are low-fat, healthy, and incredibly nutritious with very few calories.
Just a 100-gram serving of this vegetable contains:
- Fat: less than 1 gram
- Calories: 36
- Protein: 4 grams
- Carbs: 4 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Copper: 70% of the daily value (DV)
- Zinc: 36% of the DV
- Potassium: 38% of the DV
- Phosphorus: 20% of the DV
Palm hearts are a heart-healthy vegetable that offers numerous health benefits:
- They are high in antioxidants and help reduce the risk of diseases and conditions such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.
- They help reduce inflammation and serve as an electrolyte, aiding in the formation of red blood cells.
- They reduce high blood pressure and regulate the heart rate, ensuring proper blood flow to the body and minimizing the risk of a stroke.
- They strengthen the bones and teeth.
- They improve the immune system and promote the healing of body tissue.
- They are low in calories and promote weight loss by increasing satiation.
- They are compatible with ketosis.
- They help reduce nausea and morning sickness.
Palm hearts are a great addition to your diet and promote overall health and wellbeing. Relatively easy to include in different recipes, you can also use them to substitute for other, less-healthy ingredients.
If you’re on a keto diet, looking for gluten-free pasta, or simply need a healthy creamy mash, hearts of palm should definitely be on your next shopping list!