This chop suey rice is a slightly different way to make fried rice in your own home. While you may well be used to the bog-standard egg fried rice from your local Chinese takeout place, this rice is truly elevated!
With the addition of ham and a few pieces of veg, you can make this perfect side dish in no time at all. We would suggest using some veggies that are a little sweet. This means that you can strike a balance between the saltiness of the ham and the sweetness of the veg to make a really, really tasty side dish.
This recipe is a great way to use up a few things that are left in your fridge that you don’t know what to do with. It’s also a great way to make delicious food! Whatever your motivation is, we hope you try this recipe out soon - it’s sure to boost your tastebuds to the moon and back.
- Natural heaven rice
- 1 cup diced vegetables
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of diced ham
- 1 package of natural heaven rice
- ½ tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- This recipe is a really great one, since it’s so simple and yet so filling. Get started by dicing up all of the vegetables and ham that you’re going to be using.
- The veggies that you use aren’t that important, really. Instead, we’d simply suggest that you cook with whatever veggies you have on hand. Some great options for this are peas and sweetcorn, as well as bell peppers, onions, and shallots.
- Next, melt the butter in a large skillet. The best options for this are either a wide cast-iron skillet or a wok. The reason for this is that they both offer brilliant heat distribution, which is wonderful when making a chop suey dish.
- When the butter is melted, add the ham and allow it to cook for a few minutes. You don't need it to get crispy on the outside, as if you were making carbonara, instead, you simply need it to be hot through.
- Once the ham is hot, add the eggs to the pan. Mix then with the ham rapidly, so that they both combine with the butter to make a basic scrambled egg-style dish in the pot.
- Allow the eggs to cook for a few moments so that they’re all roughly solid in the pan. They don’t have to be perfectly cooked all the way through - they just have to be semi-solid so that they can mix with the other ingredients well.
- When you’re satisfied with how well the eggs are cooked, add the vegetables that you prepared before, along with the Natural Heaven rice, salt, and pepper.
- When everything is in the pan, stir it all together very well to ensure that everything is well-mixed. When the mixture has sat over heat for a while, serve! It’s worth standing on the side of caution, with this dish, and keeping it over the heat for a few more minutes to ensure that the eggs are cooked through perfectly well.