This spaghetti dish is a wonderful way to make sure that you’ve got plenty of flavor in your dinner. From the capers to the olives, every single ingredient has been selected to ensure that you’ve got a wonderful balance of powerful flavors in your mouth.
Ordinarily, puttanesca sauce includes anchovies, which have a very powerful flavor that matches up with the rough flavor of both olives and capers. This recipe, of course, doesn’t add them, as it’s a vegan option.
If you’re vegetarian and not vegan, we would suggest adding a generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese on top of the spaghetti after you plate it. This will be a wonderfully simple and tasty way to make sure that you’ve got a wide variety of different flavors on your plate, leading to a wonderful mouthful.
If you wanted to boost this dish a little, we’d definitely recommend making the pasta sauce yourself. Simple using canned or fresh tomatoes with some onion, garlic, and herbs leads to a wonderfully tasty sauce with relatively little effort. A number of people go so far as to jar their own marinara sauce - that’s how simple and tasty homemade sauce can be!
- 3 cups Natural Heaven spaghetti
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- Homemade or jarred is fine, though homemade will certainly taste better
- 3 tbsp capers
- 3 tbsp black olives
- Pinch chili flakes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- This pleasantly simple dish is a wonderful way to pack plenty of flavor onto your plate in no time at all. We’d suggest getting started by removing the Natural Heaven spaghetti from the package, and then rinsing and draining it under the sink. This is a great way to keep the spaghetti moist during the cooking process, as it will allow the noodles to slip over each other and pick the sauce up well later on.
- Add olive oil to a non-stick skillet, and put it over medium heat. Allow the oil to come to temperature - you’ll know it’s warm when it’s shimmering in the pan.
- Add the capers, olives, chili flakes, and parsley to the oil, stirring constantly. Do not allow any of these small ingredients to sit still in the oil for too long, as it will lead to them burning, which will, of course, lead to a poor final flavor.
- If any of them start to catch, add a tablespoon or so of water to the pan very carefully, and then stir everything rapidly. This will quickly reduce the temperature of what’s in the pan, leading to the food no longer burning.
- Add the sauce when the other ingredients in the pan are aromatic and have started to acquire a little color. Mix it in rapidly, as this will allow it to quickly heat up as you stir. As it warms, add the Natural heaven spaghetti, and break the noodles apart a little as you stir. It’s important that you stir the sauce all over the noodles, in order to ensure that you can get a tasty dish in front of you.