- Hearts of Palm Crispy Fries
- Hearts of Palm Cheese Wallet
- Hearts of Palm Cannelloni Ricotta Spinach
- Hearts of Palm Sashimi
- Hearts of Palm Tartar with Avocado Mousse
- Hearts of Palm Spaghetti with Milanese
- Hearts of Palm Spaghetti Pomodoro
- Hearts of Palm Risotto Sun Dried Tomato Basil and Shrimp
Easy Drunken Zoodle Chicken Casserole
A dish from the old grandma's tales – chicken casserole, is something all of us like, be it day or night. And it is even more amazing when you can get a low-calorie option in this – what do you think? This, one of the low-carb recipes, is always a hit at parties. The chicken is, and the mushrooms are so tasty – aren't they? Let's get cooking!
Makes six servings!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs or breast (the darker meat works best)
INGREDIENTS FOR STIR FRY SAUCE:
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce/paste
- 2–3 tbsp gluten free Tamari soy sauce mixed with 1 tbsp dark sugar. *For Paleo use Coconut Aminos*
- Pinch of ground ginger
- kefir lime or 1/4 tsp lime zest (a splash of juice works too)
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional finely diced Thai bird’s eye red pepper for extra spicy
OTHER INGREDIENTS FOR THE CASSEROLE:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 cup stir fry veggies (i.e. broccoli, snap peas, etc.)
- 2–3 tbsp tapioca starch or potato starch/flour
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 16 oz (or about 3–4 c Zucchini noodles- zoodles) This equals about 1-2 large zucchini or one boc of Natural Heaven Hearts of Palm Angel Hair
- 3 eggs
- 2–3 tbsp coconut milk
- Thai basil
- 1 Thai red pepper (see notes for other pepper)
- optional sesame seeds to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F and oil a medium casserole dish. Set aside.
- Clean your chicken then dice your chicken meat into small slices/cubes. Set aside.
- Slice veggies and spiralize your zucchini. If you don’t have a spiralizer, just cut julienne style. I use this spiralizer . Make sure to pat your zucchini noodles extra dry with a towel. To remove excess water. Place zucchini noodles (zoodles) at the bottom of the casserole dish and set aside.
- Next Mix your stir fry sauce. Whisk together the fish sauce, chili sauce, ginger, tamari + sugar (to equal the dark soy sauce), lime, pinch of pepper. Taste and adjust with more tamari/sugar if needed.
- Place meat, garlic, onion, oil in skillet or large pan. Sauté 5 minutes.
- Add your stir fry veggie mix, sliced red pepper, sauce, and 2-3 tbsp tapioca starch. Stir fry 10-15 minutes until chicken no long pink (but not overcooked) and starch is mixed well with the meat/vegetables.
- Add the Chicken stir fry with sauce on top of zoodles in the casserole dish; evenly.
- Next whisk your eggs and coconut milk. Pour over casserole dish.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the egg mix is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and garnish with Thai basil and optional sliced Thai peppers.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Sesame seeds to sprinkle over top, if desired.
Chef’s Tip of the Day: To add flavor to your casserole, add in fresh herbs such as bay leaves, rosemary, parsley, and tarragon. But here are the tricks, in the beginning, add bay leaves and rosemary and save parsley and tarragon for the end as they are lighter herbs, which keeps the flavor alive. Also, you may add other herbs to try different different flavors!